Naviance is the main online portal used to submit application materials required for college applications. This site should be the first place any student turns to request a transcript for college or scholarship purposes and also where students will formally request their teacher recommendation letters.
- Transcript Requests: Please use Naviance to formally request all transcripts.
- Letters of Recommendation: Please use Naviance to formally request all teacher recommendation letters.
SAT/ ACT TESTING DATES:
(If possible, can we link to the page attached to this email)
IMPORTANT COLLEGE DEADLINES
- FAFSA Opens: October 1
- Early Action/ Early Decision application deadlines: October 31, November 1, or November 15
- Students who apply early should hear back from universities: Early-mid January
- Regular Decision application deadlines: January 1-3 and February 1*
- Applications to all international universities: January 1*
- National Signing Day: February 6, 2019
- Rolling Application deadline: May 1
- Submit official acceptance notice to the college or university of choice: May 1
*Students that have applications due over long holidays will be asked to formally request transcripts and teacher recommendations well in advance to assure the complete file is submitted in a timely manner.
PAYING FOR COLLEGE
These are forms of financial aid that do not have to be repaid by the student. Examples of these types of financial aid include:
- State and Federal Grants and Scholarships
- Private/Corporate Grants and Scholarships
- Institutional Grants and Scholarships
This type of financial aid must be repaid. Examples of these types of financial aid include:
- Federal Perkin Loans
- Federal Direct Subsidized Loans
- Unsubsidized Federal and State Loans
- Private Loans
LOAN FORGIVENESS PROGRAMS AND LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAMS
These are financial aid programs for individuals who agree to perform certain work or services after completing college. Many of these programs require a minimum number of payments and a commitment to working in public service fields in areas of high need. Depending on the program they may help to pay a portion of your student loan or completely forgive the amount of the loan remaining after the term of service is complete.
TEXAS TOMORROW FUNDS
This is a state prepaid tuition plan and 529 college savings plan. The prepaid tuition plan allows individuals to for tomorrow’s college tuition costs at Texas public colleges and universities at today’s prices. A 529 college savings plan is an investment account that offers tax-free growth and tax-free withdrawals on earnings used for qualified higher education expenses.
TAX CREDITS AND OTHER PROGRAMS
There are a number of federal income tax credits and deductions and other programs for college students.
These are waivers of tuition and/or fees for certain students who aren’t Texas residents.
These are jobs (usually on campus) that are offered by the college to help students pay for tuition or other college costs; work-study jobs are awarded based on financial need.